Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 11: Missed Opportunities

So yesterday we were in the car all day, but managed to work out.  Tomorrow we'll be in the car all day, and plan on skipping the workout.  One would think that the easiest day to fit in our workout would be the day where we don't have anything going on until the wedding at 4.  You would be wrong.

We started off the day by finding some breakfast.  I had scoped out a place called The Mirth Cafe.  I saw vegetarian biscuits and gravy and wanted to try them out.  I don't know what I was thinking when looking it up before, since it's over BUTTERMILK biscuits.  Then, I made things more complicated by overlooking the red beans and rice and instead going for granola.  Even worse, I instinctively said no to milk or yogurt when asked, and didn't see the waiter again till we got the check.  Upon forcing down half a bowl of dry granola, another waitress came by and I asked her for some soy milk, which made it tolerable, but still way too sugary for my taste.

Once we were done with breakfast, we headed back to the room and talked to my brother-in-law, who we planned to meet for lunch.  Our workout was yoga, which is an hour and a half, and by the time we got back from our almost hour long breakfast (thanks to the poor service) we only had 2 hours before lunch.  We made the call to opt out of the workout and try to do it after lunch, which didn't work out.

Local Burger again was the location for lunch and I must say, I love this place.  I got a Buckaroo salad with tofu, since it has vegan ranch dressing.  Score!  I also tried the baked tofu fries, which were just heavenly.  I have never eaten such delicious tofu in all my life. It brought me back to my high school days with the chicken fingers from the cafeteria.  I mean that in a good way.  The texture was right on, and the orange sauce was so tasty I wanted to drink the rest of it.  A great lunch to be sure.

Like I said, we skipped the workout after lunch, since we had just eaten and wanted to see the town for a bit.  So we instead walked around downtown Lawrence with my brother-in-law and his wife.  Not a bad little town.  That means a lot coming from a Mizzou graduate.

We found a bicycle shop that sells Cliff bars and I discovered a new type of Cliff bar called the Builder that has 20g of protein per bar.  I picked up one of these for a snack and I think it's going to replace my normal snack bar, because this thing rocked, and you can't beat the protein boost.  So tasty.

The wedding was nice, besides it being seriously hot outside during the ceremony, but the one thing I was worried about was what I was going to eat.  In a Kansas wedding, it's tough to find something without meat in it.  Hell, even the green beans had chunks of ham floating around with them.  Really?  Is it really necessary to take a vegetable and cook it with pig flesh?  Fortunately, my sister-in-law was in attendance and is also a vegetarian.  So she made one of my favorite dishes, the same one she made for her wedding.  It's a red pepper stuffed with a mixture of orzo, zucchini, tomato, and cheese.  She said she was sorry for not leaving out the cheese for mine, but I didn't mind.  It beats the heck out of eating iceberg lettuce salad for dinner.

Another problem with weddings and dieting is the drinks and deserts.  They had a whole bar filled with tasty treats, as well as another bar filled with tasty beer.  So tough to resist, but I think I did fairly well.  I had only two little morsels and limited myself to 2 Shiner Bocks and 2 Bud Lights (when the Shiner ran out).  It's a bit of a carb and fat hit, but I would normally take down about twice that much beer and 10 times that amount of deserts normally, so I chalked today up as a win.

Menu:


Breakfast (Mirth Cafe):
Granola with cup of soy milk

Lunch (Local Burger):
Buckaroo salad (greens, fried onions, vegan ranch and tofu)
Tofu fries

Snack:
Cliff Builder's Bar

Dinner:
2 red peppers with orzo stuffing
2 bite sized desert treats
2 Shiner Bock
2 Bud Light

No comments:

Post a Comment